- 150g good quality dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup sweet nutty extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate over simmering water and then slowly stir in the oil. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with half the sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Mix the chocolate mixture with the egg yolk mixture and stir in the Grand Marnier.
- Whip the egg whites and salt until stiff and continue whipping, adding the rest of the sugar gradually until it is all incorporated.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture then pour into a large bowl or individual cups or dishes and chill for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, decorate with chocolate shards.
Ingredients for the chocolate shards:
- 1 cup good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Take a large sheet of baking paper that will fit on to your baking tray.
- Put 1/4 cup chopped chocolate in the middle and cover wit another sheet the same size. Put into the oven until the chocolate just melts.
- Remove tray from the oven and carefully roll over the top sheet of paper with a rolling pin so the melted chocolate is flattened into a thin, but not too thin sheet.
- Carefully lift the paper still sandwiched together with the chocolate, into the fridge to harden. Keep it flat.
- Repeat with the other 3/4 cup chocolate and more paper. When hard, peel off the paper and break into large jagged pieces and use for decoration.